Lady Katherine of Leveson Primary School’s LOCAL OFFER (SEN Information Report)

Below are 14 questions, devised in consultation with parents/carers, that they felt would give the information that they found beneficial when seeking support and guidance for their child with SEND. Please also read our SEND Policy.

How does Lady Katherine Primary School know if children need extra help? 

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress
  • termly assessment data shows limited or lack of progress      

 What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? 

The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. If further advice is needed, please contact Mrs Williams, SENCo. Please contact the school office to make the relevant appointments.

 How will I know how Lady Katherine Primary School supports my child?    

  • Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class. Reasonable adjustments will be made for all pupils and recommendations from professionals will be followed where possible.
  • Senior Leaders and Teachers will discuss individual pupil progress at Phase meetings and termly Pupil Progress meetings. If progress is a concern, a pupil may be included in an appropriate intervention. The pupil will be monitored by the Class Teacher and will be a ‘focus’ pupil for senior leaders during Pupil Progress Meetings. If progress continues to be a concern, the Class Teacher will refer the pupil to the SENCo, who will provide guidance and advice as to the next steps in support. This may be an additional or alternative intervention or inclusion on our Special Educational Needs register.
  • If a pupil is identified as having Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND) they will be placed on a SEND register and be evaluated for their level of SEND. Currently, an Individual Education plan will be written in collaboration with class teacher and parents and pupil if appropriate. Care, Positive Handling or Support Plans will be written by the SENCo in addition, if necessary. The IEP will have targets that will be reviewed termly by the SENCo, teaching staff and parents. The pupil’s views and feelings will also be sought.
  • All pupils on the SEND register will also have a ‘Pupil Profile’ which is updated termly, so that all staff are aware of their needs and how we can support them.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • Targets will be set according to their area of need and written on a plan. These plans will be closely monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENCO three times per year. Plans are sent to parents.
  • If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, privacy boards, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.
  • Reasonable adjustments will be made in and out of the classroom to match the pupils’ needs and to support them appropriately.

How will I know how my child is doing? 

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings. Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern.
  • Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCo by visiting the school office.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 

  • The class teacher may suggest ways you can support your child.
  • Mrs Williams is available to meet with you to discuss how to support your child with strategies set in their individual plans.
  • If outside agencies have been involved, recommendations and interventions are usually provided that can be used at home.
  • Solihull offers a free impartial service for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs. See below.

Solihull SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Information, Advice and Support Service

Solihull SEND Information, Advice and Support Service aims to:

  • Provide information, advice and support to children and young people up to the age of 25 with SEND
  • Provide information, advice and support to the parents of children and young people up to the age of 25 with SEND
  • Provide impartial advice about matters relating to special educational needs or disabilities, including matters relating to health and social care
  • Offer support to parents and children and young people with SEND in participating in decisions made about the child/young person’s education, health and social care

The service is managed by Hazel Clarke supported by Helen Ingham, Sandra Ramsey and Janet Quinney.

We are based at Sans Souci, Tanworth Lane, Shirley, Solihull B90 4DD.

  • Phone: 0121 5165173
  • Solihull SENDIAS offer a free confidential and impartial service for children and young people with Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND) and their parents and carers. We are legally trained to offer information advice and support to children, Young People & their parents, to help them make informed decisions and play an active role in their own or their child’s education. We explain SEND processes and procedures in straight-forward language so everyone knows what to expect and what part they play’

Contact us via

Telephone: 0121 516 5173

Email: [email protected]



Independent Supporters are trained to help families and young people through the new Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) assessment process.


Phone: 01384 423868

Email: [email protected]

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher, Child and Family Support Worker and SENCO are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate, group or 1:1 social communication sessions are carried out.
  • Clubs and an additional quiet playground are available for those who find lunchtimes a challenge. We also have an inside reading area and an animal care rota.
  • We have a sensory room and music room with playtime sessions timetabled in for all pupils. These rooms are also used for individual and group interventions.

What support will there be for my child’s medical needs?

  • If a pupil has a medical need then a Care Plan is compiled, where appropriate, with support from the school nurse or occupational therapist, in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff receive epipen training delivered by the school nurse.
  • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, medicines are administered in school with a signed medicine consent form to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
  • There are suitable first aid trained staff in school. Intimate care support is given by our Child Family support worker.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?           

At times, it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.

 The agencies used by the school may include:


School Nurse

SISS- Communications and Learning Difficulties SISS ( CLD)

GP and Paediatricians

SISS – Sensory and Physical Impairments (SPI) to include physical, hearing, visual

CFSW (Child and Family Support Worker)

SISS- Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)

Educational Psychology

SISS- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)

Hearing impaired specialist teacher

SISS- Under 6 Team

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

SISS- Speech, Communication and Language Difficulties (SCLD)

Solihull Eye Clinic

English as Additional Language (EAL)

Community Speech and Language Therapy

Specialist Assessment Centre – developmental delays and ASD

Collaborative Speech and Language Therapy – Early Years

Community Paediatric Occupational Therapy

Young carers support workers

Engage (early help for families)

SENDIASS (advice for parents)

Virtual schools (Looked after children)

Social workers

SEND teams from Solihull and local counties


Some pupils may also require support that is ‘additional or different’:


Specific Need


Pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL)

SISS- English as an Additional Language (EAL)

Children in Care, Children of Service personal

Social Work Team, Education Service for Looked After and Vulnerable Children (EDULAC)

Refugee and Asylum Seekers

Education Service for Looked After and Vulnerable Children (EDULAC)

Traveller Pupils

Gypsy, Roma pupils and pupils of Irish Traveller heritage team (GRT)

Pupils with medical needs

Specialist Health Services – Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital and specialist nursing teams

Young Carers

Solihull Young Carers Team, CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

Pupils at Risk of Exclusion

SISS- Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH), Educational Psychologists, Education Welfare Team

Pupils from families under stress

CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)


What training the staff supporting children and young people with SEND have had or are having?             

Teaching staff have access to the Department for Education (DFE) Inclusion Development Programme (IDP) materials to support the differentiation of learning opportunities to meet the needs of the majority of learners. This facilitates ‘Quality First Teaching’ for all pupils.

Different members of staff have received raining related to SEND. These have included sessions on:

  • How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.
  • How to support pupils with social and emotional needs and attachment difficulties.
  • How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties.
  • How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips? 

Activities and school trips are available to all.

  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.
  • However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required, a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?

As a school, we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. We do have a first floor in the KS2 building which is accessed by stairs. Facilities we have at present include:

  • Lifts to all floors to make the building accessible to all.
  • One private toilet adapted for disabled users.
  • Adapted children’s toilets on both levels.

Admissions – How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Lady Katherine or transferring to a new school?   

Admission for any child, including those with SEND is through Solihull School Admissions, detailed information can be found at

If your child has an Education and Healthcare Plan (EHCP) the process is different. Please phone Solihull admissions on 0121 704 6693 for advice pertinent to your child’s needs or the Solihull START Team (SEN Team) on 0121 704 6690. In addition, Priority may be given to children with exceptional social or medical reasons. If you think there may be exceptional social or medical reasons find out more at


Many strategies are in place at Lady Katherine to enable the pupil’s admission/transition to be as smooth as possible.      

These include:

  • Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • Paperwork is passed between schools.
  • All pupils attend a Transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
  • If necessary, books are Transition books are made with individuals.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Mrs Williams and Miss Russell (CFSW) are always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Mrs Williams liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
  • For pupils diagnosed with Autism, the SISS Autism team provide extra transition sessions in July.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources, dependent on an individual’s needs. The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year. Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher, the SENCo and Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies. During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being, then other interventions will be arranged.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?              

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • discussions with the class teacher during parents evenings and individual education plan meetings
  • discussions with Mrs Williams (SENCo) or other professionals
  • involvement in their child’s Individual Education Plans with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.

Who can I contact for further information?             

 If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the class teacher and/or the SENCO.

I hope these have answered any queries you may have, but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.