Art & Design
‘Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.’ Pablo Picasso
All pupils, whatever their background, needs and ability need to have the opportunity to respond to the world and their personal environment through a range of media. Through Art we are able to value our children’s achievements and give them the opportunity to express themselves creatively and directly through Art and Design.
The essential characteristics of being an artist at Lady Katherine Leveson:
• The ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations,
convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
• The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
• The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
• The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or
• An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
• The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
• Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
• The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
• The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
• A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
Materials and collage